Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Light My Fire



John 8:12    Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.”

      It’s that time of year when all is a flutter with food and festivities and family.  It’s also that time of year, for me anyway, when I pull out all of my Christmas DVD’s, dust them off, grab a cup of tea or hot cocoa and light my fire.  I am blessed to have two fireplaces one that with a simple click the fire roars, and the other by placing kindling and hefting wood into place.  The first is quick and clean, but still gives off heat and looks realistic enough.  The latter requires a bit more effort in lighting and clean up, but gives off an aroma and sound that gas cannot equal.  The crackle comes from the moisture in the wood, when too much vapor is trapped inside it will exert pressure and cause the wood to pop.  Aaahh. Fireplaces are almost as old as fire itself…well not quite. The first fireplaces were more pits than fireplaces. When the industrial revolution came around in the late 1700’s architects and people like Benjamin Franklin began perfecting the style of the fireplace for efficiency in heating and cooking, but during the Victorian age it became more about coziness, quaintness, and a touch of class.  Styles of fireplaces have come a long way since ‘ole Ben’s lifetime, but the feeling it imbues, I’m certain, is still much the same.  Whether one flips a switch or piles the wood up and lights a match it still makes the space seem cozier, homier…safe. I love the analogy of firelight giving off warmth, light and security just as the light of Christ gives us the same (but without the switch). He gives us light in a world of darkness, the warmth of His never ending love, and the security of His promise of life everlasting.




     I have many films I enjoy watching each year like It’s A Wonderful Life, A Charlie Brown Christmas and most recently The Nativity Story from 2006.  A handful of years ago I came across a movie called Christmas in Connecticut with Barbara Stanwyck, and fell in love with it. One of the many reasons I did was the home itself. It’s really just a Hollywood set, but if I could afford to build a house like it someday I would if only for the ambience of the larger than life stone fireplace.   I must leave you now. I’m going to boil some water, put on my slippers, and sit back and be transported to a 1945 winter scene in Connecticut. 


For a virtual fire try this one or some others on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIJAsKCLTqc&feature=related

1 comment:

  1. This virtual crackling fireplace is awesome! Thanks for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete